Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cookies - a decorating journey...

I began decorating cookies with my paternal Grandma when I was very young.  I still can remember the wonderful smell of the sugar cookies baking in Grandma's oven during the Christmas Holiday.   I always spent a few days with my Grandma before Christmas and I looked forward to these fun and few days - every year.

We'd bake dozens of Christmas themed sugar cookies and slather them with frosting.  I got to put on all of the sprinkles and decorate them any way I wanted. I remember having frosting all over my hands and clothing.  I remember we sat for HOURS decorating cookies and talking.   Sadly, I don't remember what it was we talked about, but I do remember how much fun it was to be with her.

Grandma never corrected me or showed me how to decorate.  She loved me and what I did and that was that.   In hind site, I think that my Grandma gave me the license to "just do what comes naturally".   This developed my love for cooking and being creative with what I cook.

I  miss the days of decorating cookies with my Grandma.   Maybe that is why I love decorating cookies so much now.   How can you have a bad day when cookies are in the oven?  I LOVE filling my kitchen with those wonderful sugar cookie smells.  

Even the mess it left her kitchen is now my mess.  Funny, Grandma never made me clean up any of those messes I made as a child, but, I guess that is what Grandma's do! 

Making cookies is like having a little bit of my Grandma with me.  I know she'd be so happy to see how much
I have learned and how much of her "drive" I have in me.   I bet Grandma is saying at the end of a cookie making day "Okay sweetie, now it's your turn to clean up the kitchen". 
The butterfly cookies are one of the first cookies I tried to decorate.. These were done about February of 2010.  The cookies above were done at Easter in 2011.  

The graduation cookies are the most recent.

No comments:

Post a Comment